Guide To Dealing With Wasps On Your Outdoor Picnic
If you are planning a picnic in Vancouver, Washington, or Portland, Oregon, you may encounter wasps. Wasps can be a nuisance and potentially dangerous if they sting, but with a few precautions and strategies, you can enjoy your outdoor picnic without worrying about them. In this guide, we’ll cover how to identify wasps, how to avoid attracting them, and what to do if they are present during your picnic.
Wasps are flying insects that can be identified by their slender bodies, narrow waist, and pointed abdomens. They have two pairs of wings and a pair of antennae. Wasps are typically black or brown, but some species may have yellow or white markings. Common types of wasps found in Vancouver and Portland include paper wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets.
Avoid Attracting Wasps
There are several things you can do to reduce the likelihood of attracting wasps to your picnic:
- Choose a location away from garbage cans or other areas where food scraps may accumulate.
- Keep food and drinks covered and sealed as much as possible.
- Avoid wearing brightly colored clothing or floral-patterned clothing, which can attract wasps.
- Use unscented personal care products, such as lotion or perfume, as scents can also attract wasps.
Dealing with Wasps
If wasps are present during your picnic, there are several ways to deal with them:
- Remain calm and still. Wasps are more likely to sting if they feel threatened, so try not to make sudden movements or swat at them.
- If a wasp lands on you, gently blow on it to encourage it to fly away.
- Use a wasp trap or bait to lure the insects away from your picnic area. You can purchase these at a hardware or home improvement store or make your own using a plastic bottle and a sweet liquid such as soda or juice.
- If a wasp nest is nearby, avoid disturbing it. Wasps are territorial and will defend their nest if they feel threatened.
- If a wasp stings you, remove the stinger and clean the area with soap and water. You can also apply a cold compress to reduce swelling and pain. Seek medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction, such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the face or throat.
While wasps can be a nuisance, they don’t have to ruin your outdoor picnic in Vancouver Washington, or Portland Oregon. By taking a few precautions to avoid attracting them and knowing how to deal with wasps if they are present, you can enjoy your meal and the great outdoors without worrying about these insects. Remember to remain calm and still if a wasp is near you and seek medical attention if you are stung and experience an allergic reaction.